Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dark Star Safari

If you'd asked me a year ago where I thought I'd be right now, I may have guessed shelving or working the circ. desk at McCord Memorial Library in North East, PA. There's no way I would have predicted trekking around the Shai Hills National Reserve in Ghana's Volta Region with two older men from Denmark. I also wouldn't have predicted avidly following www.fifa.com for the latest US World Cup news while editing a Ghanaian textbook in Accra.... but here I sit.

Now on a Paul Theroux kick (just finished the sequel to The Great Railway Bazaar, Ghost Train to the Eastern Star), I've just begun Dark Star Safari, his account of traveling across Africa by land, from Cairo to Cape Town. Judging from the first chapter, it'll be another good one: "Africa is one of the last great places on earth a person can vanish into. I wanted that. Let them wait. I have been kept waiting far too many times for far too long."

And with that, I'm going to have to request that you wait a tad bit more for me to catch up with the blogs.... plenty swirling around in this mind for blogging, I promise. Will be sure to update before catching a bus to Cape Coast for the weekend (as Theroux notes, safari translates as journey), Girl Scout's honor.

Bottom of Lake Volta, currently the largest man-made lake in the world, from the vantage point of Akosombo Dam.
Shai Hills... one of many, and sans the antelopes and baboons wandering around elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment