Sunday, July 4, 2010

The troubles of novelty

Earlier today, I went out for a short walk around the neighborhood to clear my head a bit and enjoy the weather. Halfway down the first street, I was stopped, given an overly-friendly spiel, complimented, and proposed to.

Giving up on the mind-clearing abilities of this particular walk, I returned to the Agyare's and accosted Kofi and his cousin Obed regarding the frustrating amorousness of their countrymen. Entertainment over, it was time to try again - this time heading for the opposite block of the neighborhood and donning ear phones, as per Kofi's suggestions.

After making it around the block undisturbed (smile, nod, smile, etc), I felt overly silly and anti-social with the ear phones, returning them to my pocket.

Then I met Felix and Melvin. According to Felix, I'm beautiful and should give him my phone number. According to Melvin, he (Melvin, that is) is "a bad guy"... *sneaky smile.*

Semi-exasperated, I returned once again to the Agyare's. Back to Kofi and Obed, introducing myself to the room with "Your countrymen have issues." "It happened again?!" Yes, yes, it did.
Moral of the story: it gets tiring to be a novelty.


more substantial communication on the way... and happy Independence Day! Sadly, no fireworks or hot dogs in Ghana.... 10 days, America. I'll see you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment